1. How much does one cup of cheerios
weigh in ounces and grams?
Answer. One cup = 0.92 ounces and 26 grams
2. How many apples should you purchase to yield 2.75 cups, peeled, cored, and
Answer. 1 pound apples (3-4 medium apples or 113
grams) yields 0.78 pounds EP = 2.75 cups EP.
3. The recipe states to purchase one pound potatoes. Directions: Bake potatoes
and peel. How many ounces will be left?
Answer. 1 lb AP = 0.74 lb without skin = 11.84
4. How much lobster would you analyze, if provided with a 1.5 pound lobster in a
shell? The answer should be in ounces.
Answer. 5.1 ounces
5. Recipe states to purchase one pound chicken breast with bone and skin.
Directions: Broil, remove skin. How many of ounces of cooked chicken will you
1 lb AP yields 7.5 ounces chicken breast without bone and skin
6. How many cups of cooked kidney
beans would one pound dried kidney beans yield?
Answer. 6.5 cups
7. How many cups of all-purpose
flour would a two pound bag of flour yield?
Answer. 8 cups
8. Recipe states to purchase one pound lean ground beef and broil. Drain fat.
How many ounces of cooked ground beef would you analyze?
10. You are preparing the analysis of a chicken
broth. The directions state to strain and reserve the chicken and vegetables for
another time. How would you analyze the recipe?
Answer. 11.2 ounces
9. Recipe states to marinade chicken in refrigerator overnight. Prior to
cooking, the marinade is drained and discarded. What percentage of the marinade
should be included in the analysis?
Answer. Estimate 10 percent and verify with the
chef or writer.
Answer. Use a prepared low sodium chicken broth
from your nutrient database. If salt is an ingredient in the recipe, add the
salt to the low sodium broth. Notify your client the analysis is an estimate.
How did you do?
If you scored 5 or below, contact
Answered 8-10 questions correctly. You're a pro.
Answered 6-7 questions correctly. Hire a service or take a course in food
Answered 0-5 questions correctly. Hire a nutrition analysis service.
Sandra Frank, Ed.D, RDN, LD, FAND at
for your nutritional analysis services.